Little Big Town's Kimberly Schalpman told People Country, "Growing up, my grandmother, my mother, my sister and I would spend an entire Saturday in December making Christmas goodies.” Kimberly even shared one of her family’s recipes:
2/3 cup butter-flavor shortening
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup cold coffee
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1. Beat shortening & sugars at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy.
2. Combine molasses and coffee; set aside.
3. Sift together flour and next 5 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with coffee mixture. Begin and end with flour mixture.
4. Divide into fourths; wrap each in plastic wrap.
5. Chill 4 hours.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
7. Roll out each dough portion to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
8. Cut into shapes with 3 to 4-inch cookie cutters.
9. Place cookies 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
10. Bake 8 minutes; cool 2 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely